Assistant Women's Basketball Coach
Georgia Highlands College
Job Description Summary
This role functions as an Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach in a multi-site University System of Georgia college. GHC is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association, NJCAA (Division 1). Reporting to the head coach of the men’s basketball team, this position will assist the head coach in all aspects of the program.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging. Regular fulltime staff, administrators, and faculty enjoy the abundant array of University System health, retirement, and other benefits which includes tuition assistance after six months of employment. Additionally, GHC is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of an associate’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field, bachelors preferred
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for two to three years
• Successful recruiting experience with a proven record of success in athletics and student academics
• Identifies and recruits potential student athletes
• Performs on-court instruction and player development
• Conducts and supervise off-season conditioning. Develop a weekly S&C calendar/plan
• Monitors student athletes’ progress and implement strategies to ensure academic and athletic success with an emphasis on sportsmanship, integrity, a competitive spirit and academic success
• Performs administrative duties such as travel and camp coordination and execution
• Promotes athletic program and events to the campus and community; raise funds in conjunction with the Office of Advancement and the President’s Office
• Performs assigned duties in a manner consistent with the mission, goals, and core values of the college
• Maintains sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds
• Weekly housing inspections and supervision of student-athletes off campus activities.
• Daily supervision of student-athletes study hall and tutorial sessions.
• Assists with game day operations. Driving to away games will sometimes be necessary.
• Assists with fundraising
• Performs other duties as assigned by Head Women’s Basketball Coach
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• General knowledge of intercollegiate athletics at the NJCAA level
• Strong knowledge of NJCAA rules and regulations or ability to learn and retain quickly
• General knowledge of Title IX regulations
• General knowledge of FERPA guidelines
• Working knowledge of psychology, sociology, and leadership theories
• Knowledge and experience with fund raising methods
• Knowledge and the ability to apply technology to athletic program management